Thursday, March 12, 2009

Iraq solider scam

By Araksya Karapetyan

IDAHO FALLS - If you get an email from someone claiming to be an attorney of a solider killed in Iraq, don't respond, in fact don't even bother reading any further."I have a personal proposal for you, to present you to my bank as a beneficiary to my late client who died in Iraq," reads Tara Carson.Tara Carson got this strange email."It was asking if I would like to be the person that gets the money because the guy died in Iraq and so did his family, and they haven't been able to trace down any of his other family, so they randomly picked me to just take his money," says Carson.We're talking $14.5 million."That's a lot and a lot of people will do almost anything for money," says Carson."Did you for a second believe that?" asks Araksya Karapetyan."No that's why I wanted to try to get more information on it," says Carson.So she wrote back and asked, one simple question - how did he die?She got a response, another email, with other details, but not an answer to her question."Once the funds is transferred to your account we shall split the ratio 65 for me, 30 for you, and 5 for the expenses. It was weird, I was like why me," says Carson.There was a number listed, so we gave it a shot.Operator: "We're sorry your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and dial again.""I am surprised because if he really wanted my identity that bad and wanted everything, he would have given me a real number to call," says Carson.It was along distance number, so some might not bother calling, and stick to the Internet."Think, get more information before you do anything, before you send out your social security number, your identity, your phone number," says Carson.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how some people sleep at night. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete