Friday, April 3, 2009

Putting Scammers to the test

IDAHO FALLS - People are often tempted to believe they can make a few easy, extra bucks. One 84-year-old Idaho Falls woman, got a big check in the mail and this isn't the first time it's happened to her. The directions are simple: deposit the check and get the money."I thought I was really rich," says Alice Beaty, 84-year-old."She's gotten probably about six," Diane Reinhart, Alice's daughter."I think elderly people are more vunerable," says Leonard Beaty, Alice's son."My mom who is 84-years-old, she gets excited," says Reinhart."Didn't know, never had nothing like this happen before you know," says Beaty."We called about it, there was a guy from Canada said ok if she goes, takes it and puts it in her back account she could get the money," says Reinhart."Right now all you have to do it go to the bank and deposit it. Make sure you keep this confidential because we always have double claims, people always come and want people's money, always protect your winnings and protect the letter sent to you," says the operator."This check will also serve to help pay for your occurred expenses for fraudulent and stolen identity changes," reads Beaty."That check is to help pay for your taxes," says the operator."So I have a check for 3-thousand dollars, you're saying I am going to get another check in the mail for 250-thousand dollars?" asks Araksya Karapetyan."Yes, by Friday you'll get it in the mail," says the operator."We went went to the credit union and they said the check was no good," says Reinhart."That check is good ma'am, there's nothing wrong with that check ma'am," says the operator."Call us back when you deposit the check and we'll get your bank account information, that's why I said no," says the operator."All you need to do is go to the back and deposit it, when you finish then call me back," says the operator."Usually about 3-thousand 7-hundred 40 something dollars, and then the last one was like 48-thousand dollars," says Reinhart."I am assuming if this was a check they would have her name correct, her last name is spelled with one "t" not two," says Reinhart."You should be very excited, I don't know why you're asking me too many questions. You know I get this a lot, but I am just helping you get your winning ma'am," says the operator."If I had not been there for my mother, she probably would have done it and they would have got all the bank information, " says Beaty."I am a reporter for CBS affiliate television and I am calling because this is a scam. So, I want to know if you have anything to say... Hello??? " says Araksya Karapetyan.One lady who called Eyewitness News earlier this week, says she kept getting similar checks like those in the mail. But when she went to the bank they not only cashed them, they later forced her to pay every single penny back to the bank... all 10-thousand dollars of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment